[Efa] Push Pelosi to stop warrantless NSA surveillance in 2018

Shahid Buttar shahid at eff.org
Sat Jan 6 01:34:31 UTC 2018

I’m writing just to flag some opportunities to impact the latest machinations in Congress <https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-06/house-aims-to-pass-revised-surveillance-bill-as-deadline-looms> to reauthorize warrantless NSA surveillance without substantial reforms.

Can you share any of these resources with the rest of your group?
EFF posted a call tool urging Nancy Pelosi to accept Section 702 bills only if they have robust warrant requirements: https://act.eff.org/action/tell-leader-pelosi-to-require-warrants-for-nsa-spying <https://act.eff.org/action/tell-leader-pelosi-to-require-warrants-for-nsa-spying>. We've asked callers to say the following when on the lines with Pelosi's staff: "Please tell Leader Pelosi: the government should get a warrant before accessing American communications. Reject any NSA extension bills that don't protect my Fourth Amendment rights.”
We also have an RSVP page, where people can sign up to receive a friendly reminder each morning to make another call until either the January 19 deadline, or when a bill is passed. That's here: www.eff.org/callpelosi <http://www.eff.org/callpelosi>
On social media messaging, here is the latest tweet we sent out for the Pelosi call tool: https://twitter.com/EFF/status/949334615847661568 <https://twitter.com/EFF/status/949334615847661568>We also invite organized groups to seek meetings with Pelosi’s office (and those of other congressional reps) to convey your concerns about mass government surveillance unconstrained by judicial review. Here’s some guidance <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/04/dissent-made-meaningful> on how to proceed.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either on activism strategies or the underlying issues.

Have a great weekend,
Shahid

--
Shahid Buttar