[Noisebridge-discuss] non-excellent couch behavior

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Sat Nov 14 03:18:16 UTC 2009

I totally agree that there should be more discussion and that there should
be more open-ness about our do-ocracy.

That said, we have a remarkable hair-trigger when it comes to flying off the
handle over things we don't like.  I don't blame anybody for not wanting to
try to talk things out on noisebridge-discuss, it's a drama no-go zone at
the moment and you never know what's going to set it off.  Additionally, I
think that there's something to be said for just doing things you want done;
the People who Did This  have done a lot of other stuff without consulting
the list first, most of which were just taken to be Cool Stuff For The
Benefit Of The Space.

I've got a case of been down here at 2169 for anybody who wants to come down
here and talk about this in person.

--S

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Kelly <hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a contingent of reasonable people who viewed this as a prank
> with no genuine risk involved.  One of the primary couch-movers was
> qualified to assess the safety of the situation.  Now that some
> explanations are coming out, I think it's clear that no harm was
> intended.
>
> It's really important not to put a damper on the spirit of do-ocracy.
> I think that the main issue is the secrecy.  Please DO things!  But
> doing things in secret because you know they will piss people off and
> thus avoiding discussion is not cool.  And generally I would say that
> the first time is free.  Oops!  I walled off the DJ booth.  Turns out
> everyone embraced the window entrance.  But if it seems that the
> people do not want ceilings to be couched, we should consider verbal
> negotiation of ceiling furnishings.
>
> -Kelly
>
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Alex Perez <aperez at alexperez.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 13, 2009, at 5:10 PM, Kelly wrote:
> >
> >> At this point I really don't know if it's a joke or what.  There's
> >> been a lot of off-list discussion, and the main bullet points seem to
> >> be these:
> >>
> >> - The couch movers assumed that a couch was what the ceiling was built
> for
> >> - None of the darkroom people were aware of this, including those
> >> working on the ceiling
> >> - People are concerned about the safety of having the couch up
> >> there--maybe we can see some load-bearing calculations?
> >> - Some people feel that there was nothing wrong with the couch movers
> >> behavior, and others feel really hurt by it.  There doesn't seem to be
> >> a clear NB protocol for excellence on this matter.
> >
> > The protocol shouldn't be for excellence, it should be against general
> > douchebaggery, and the douches who put the couch back up there should not
> > even attempt to defend their behavior. Have any of them actually tried
> to?

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700