[Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping at NB

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Thu Dec 23 06:18:03 UTC 2010

I think that if we can't exert some sort of control over our space, then we
definitely fail at being a community.  I like the idea that we can eschew
rules and authority and rely on the community to enforce its standards
through social pressure; but social pressure is essentially just as coercive
as the enforcement of rules via established authority.

If we're simply opposed to coercion in all forms, then I think we lose; we
just give up and come to terms with the fact that Noisebridge is going to be
and remain a crash-pad for whoever wants to occupy the couches and play
video games, and we should find somewhere else to actually do stuff.

--S

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net>wrote:

> On 12/22/2010 05:22 PM, Moxie Marlinspike wrote:
> >

> > On 12/22/2010 07:50 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> >> Try to understand the reason each person in our community sleeps on the
> >> sofa. I'm not talking about people wandering in off of the street but
> >> rather people in our community who are on the sofa. I'm pretty sure
> >> sleeping on the sofa isn't the same as community membership unless
> >> they're sleep hackers. :-)
> >>
> >> In many cases, it's totally reasonable - the annoying part is that
> >> everyone has reasonable reasons. So in that case, I'd ask you to find
> >> the change within yourself and accept that there is no perfect system
> >> that also perfectly accommodates for any deviation.
> >
> > The classic anarchist joke, which I believe appeared in an early issue
> > of Harbinger, is:
> >
> > "You people are crazy if you don't believe in property, what would you
> > do if you came home and found a stranger watching TV in your livingroom?"
> >
> > "I'd ask them where the TV came from."
> >

> I love this joke. :-)
>
> > I don't believe that Noisebridge can, in even the most remote sense, be
> > considered a "community."  Most of the people at Noisebridge (sleeping
> > or otherwise) hardly know each-other's names, which is seriously
> > light-years away from what really being part of a community together
> > implies.
>
> I don't agree with you on this point - I think this probably holds true
> for you and it doesn't hold true for everyone else. The people you've
> hacked with or the people you know at Noisebridge are part of the
> community - it's simply a splintered community. The wiki is one face of
> the community, the cooking nights are another - we're not a single
> unified front but that doesn't mean that we're not a community.
>
> All the best,
> Jake

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700