[Noisebridge-discuss] New furniture

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:39:21 UTC 2012

Response inline

On Dec 4, 2012 2:05 PM, "John Withers" <jwithers at reddagger.org> wrote:

> I love how anytime anyone disagrees with you going off on people, you
> can never be wrong

Thanks to brian for pointing out the fact of my admitting I was wrong,
which you have, here, totally ignored.

because anyone pointing out that you go over the top
> agro on people who intended no harm, they are evil oppressors.

Not evil, just oppressors. We all perpetrate oppression unknowingly. Myself
certainly included - I have never claimed to be perfect. You gotta listen
to me more fully to catch that though.  I am just asking this community as
a whole, rather than through acts of individuals, to take an active role in
giving a shit.

> It's win win and possibly one of the most brilliant perma-troll tactics
> I have ever seen. Very nice work.

I do realize I am feminist-trolling the noisebridge list. In this case, to
me, 'troll' means behaving in a socially non-normative way in order to
elicit a desired response. In this case the desired response is your
education, you fool. I'm trying to help you see your own blind spots. Its
hard when those very blind spots are based in disrespect of me and my
ideas, because of cultural biases about who I am and what those ideas are.

Only FSM knows where I get the motivation to try and teach such ungrateful
people.  No, I know. It's men like mike schachter, and brian cloutier. And
rayc, and ramon, and praveen, and mitch, and danny obrien, and miloh, and
andy isaacson, and leif, and tom lowenthal, and all of the other wonderful
people who approach me with respect, pragmatism, and few apparent illusions
about how 'correct' I am in my bombast.  Or am even trying to be!  Its
worth noting that I enjoy being challenged when it comes from a place of
respect, and I think the best learning comes from failure. I think building
shared power across social groups gives us the tools to challenge each
other where appropriate, instead of just challenging ideas that make one
feel defensive.

Since the year 1200 there has been an entire buddhist church dedicated to a
single sutra which means, at its core, that everyone is capable of
enlightenment. That's pretty inspiring to me.  That perspective may shift,
for you, the perception of my actions in this space.

R.